Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

In The Raw

In the Raw!

I had a raw meal. I was fascinated by the idea that we could eat RAW PUMPKIN! I was fascinated and a bit hesitant. Pumpkin is my favourite vegetable, and I love it baked, mashed, stuffed, pureed, and growing. Raw... was a bit unusual.


I have been following a friend's blog as she did 30 Days of Raw. Her recipes sounded fantastic, and I always love to try new things, so I tried this one, which is Pumpkin noodles with a sundried tomato sauce.

Unfortunately, I ended up very sick that night, vomiting and feeling very unwell. The food was Ok - I was hoping to really fall in love with it a lot more than I did. It was tasty, but the textures didn't work for me, and then I was sick all night. Not fun. Not raw food's fault either, so when we hit Brisbane I leapt at the chance to try a few more raw foods.

I tried a raw felafel with raw chutney, and that was ... interesting. It needed a damn good cooking if you ask me! Again, the texture of sprouted chick peas or broad beans then ground into a paste and dried didn't quite work for me. I think my preconceptions were getting in the way of my really enjoying these sorts of foods, so we also tried some desserts.

There was a mint chocolate slice, which was very nice, but my big favourite was definitely some avocado chocolate pies we purchased. And it turns out they were low carbs, which was awesome! I was no-carbing at the time. We loved the dark chocolate avocado pie, and so did our 4yo! Our 2yo loves anything that's edible, so we knew he would love it too.

--
Sarah

No comments: