Pages

Friday, September 04, 2009

Strawberry Surprise!

Yesterday I went to my local veggie shop looking particularly for cheap produce that I could buy in bulk for cooking, pureeing and freezing and that sort of thing. I came home with, among other things, a case of local strawberries. All up there are 15 punnets, which equals 3.75kg of strawberries, at a total cost of $6.90--considering I paid nearly this much for 2 punnets last week I snapped the box up right away. I think they were cheap because they are the small variety, which for me is a bonus rather than a negative because smaller = tastier.

I have put a few punnets aside for eating as is, and de-leaved and washed a few punnets for freezing and making into ice cream (we have one of those niffty juicers that you put frozen fruit into and it comes out as ice cream). I am thinking there will be some frozen fruit kebabs happening in our near future and maybe some choc dipped strawberries.

That leaves about 2kg to play with. Most will probably be frozen for later use, but I'd love to hear peoples best strawberry ideas--the easier the better!

5 comments:

Fe said...

Jam!

Strawberry is such a reliable one—most people eat it, so it makes great gifts:-) (Well, what you don't eat yourself:-) )

SarahX said...

I thought of jam, but the truth is we don't really eat enough jam to make it worth it. Some kind of sauce (i.e. runny jam :) ) might be good though.

lauredhel said...

Clafoutis, or my berry tart.

SarahX said...

yum, they both look great! and the '5 minute' part is very appealing :)

Transcendancing said...

Oh!! *wants 2kg strawberries*

(and a chest freezer)

I like the idea of a runny sauce :) You could have it with your yoghurt then ala the gluten free yoghurt you and Baby_b like so much :)