Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Adventy Goodness



I really love the idea of Advent calendars, the kind where you open up a little window and get a small present each day in the lead up to Christmas. Rather than buy one covered in Bratz characters or full of cheap crappy candy that she wouldn't be able to eat I decided to make my own for monkey moo this year. I found a set of 24 mini Christmas books at a discount book store and decided to make a little stocking for each one and hang it from a string on the mantle piece.



I started by making up 12 stockings out of some left over stocking fabric, followed by 12 little draw string bags in other coordinating fabrics.



I stuffed them each with one of the little books and another treasure such as a little wooden tree ornament, some bangles, or a little porcelain animal--all of which I found quite cheaply at the Saturday markets.



I mixed up the colours and pegged all the stockings on the string with mini bulldog clips.



We have been choosing a stocking as part of our bed time routing and reading the little books as before bed stories. Interestingly she picked all the stocking shaped ones first--and particularly enjoys wearing them on her feet!

The best part about this calendar is that I will be able to pack the stockings and bags away with the Christmas decorations and refill and reuse them again next year :)

2 comments:

SarahP said...

Wow, that just looks awesome!

Fe said...

Very cool:-)

Can I suggest that you don't actually pack it _with_ the christmas decorations, just near them? Well, unless you typically put up your decorations at the start of December:-)

I did the first year I had an advent calendar—and the next year it was hard work to get it out at the start of December (we don't do decorations until about the middle of december).