Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Rhubarb Champange

I found a recipe for Rhubarb Champagne, and since I happen to like Rhubarb, I thought I would give it a go.

The recipe is from Simplesavings, and is:

Rhubarb Champagne
20 cps cold water
1 lemon
3 1/2 cups Rhubarb
3 1/2 cups sugar
11 tablesp cider vinegar
Wash Rhubarb and Lemon don't peel. Cut up roughly. Add to water and sugar. (in a plastic bucket) Stand 48 hours no longer or the Rhubarb will sour.Strain,bottle and cap. Ready in 2 to 3 weeks. Makes 9 beer bottles.
Red Rhubarb = Pink Champagne Green Rhubarb = White Champagne

I gave it a try, hoping it would be nice. I used vanilla sugar, since that was all I had, and I was pretty excited to be making something again. The recipe was so simple, and I couldn't find my steriliser so the bottles were just cleaned and then rinsed with fresh water, and then used. I used grolsh bottles with new seals, and one that was crown capped.

And it was awesome!

The first thing I noticed when we popped the first grolsh bottle was the intense bubbles! One or two later bottles even fizzed out of the top! The next thing I noticed was the lovely scent of vanilla. A closer sniff also involved other complex flavours, and on pouring, the champagne was definitely champagne like, and pink! Everything we hoped for! The bubbles stayed as well, and the drink was a really nice lemonade with something else. It really does have to be tried to understand! It was fantastic. Very refreshing, not sickenly sweet, no chemical taste, and fresh.

I'm definitely making this one again!

10/10!

Sarah P

4 comments:

SarahX said...

Wow, that looks great! What a beautiful colour. And it looks so quick and easy too.

I don't usually use sterilizer, I just scald everything with boiling water.

Fe said...

Oh my! It was _indeed_ fabulous! I even bought rhubarb when I when I did the shopping today!

Elizabeth Poland said...

was it alcoholic... i want to try this with kids at school!!!

Unknown said...

What do I do with the cider vinegar?