Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Birthday Cake for L, November 2008






This is a buttercream base with plastic icing rug. The rug was a bit of an experiment. I was initially using a technique of just imprinting the heart shapes into the rug, but Chesh and I were fooling around and using the opportunity to explore a little, and I ended up with a bunch of tiny hearts, and with a little bit of a press, a bunch of tiny heart shaped holes. A match made in heaven!

The colour is Lilac and comes from the local cake shop, which is called The Sugar Smith and is in Maddington. They have a nice range of stuff, and Chesh and I did our cake decorating course there some years ago. So, we can now make our own wedding cake if we want - but the most valuable thing I learnt is confidence. We came out a lot more confident about cake decorating, and with Alton Brown's theory that cake is just a conveying mechanism for icing, we seem to do pretty well.

The flowers I bought premade from the Sugar Smith, and that's also where I grabbed the other goodies such as the wax teddybears, ladybugs, butterflies, wires for butterflies. I made the bowls from icing, and the fruits are lollies (little bananas, strawberries and grapes.) And I just thought the picnic chairs were cute.
:-)

5 comments:

sajbrfem said...

ZOMG! A teddy bear's picnic cake! Awesome!

What is the blanket made out of? Is that like the icing you use on a wedding cake?

SarahP said...

Yeah, it's called plastic icing. You can buy a small pack of about 500 grams, cheapest from wedding cake shops, and it's a lot like playdoh except sweet and edible.

sajbrfem said...

mmm... sweet edible playdoh, I could get into that :)

Fe said...

I don't recommend eating too much of it though! My 12th (hmm... maybe 14th) birthday cake was a roller skate—it had solid plastic icing wheels and I _love_ icing, so I ate one... I felt fairly ill afterwards!

Oh, and the temperature usage guides? Believe them! One of the cakes for our wedding was covered twice, because the first covering ran so much it looked like a chopped off pyramid!

sajbrfem said...

I could totally go a plastic sugar rollerskate wheel right now!