Pages

Friday, November 28, 2008

Monthly Household Duties


I hate shopping. I hate it with a passion. I hate spending money on useless crap that gathers dust but you can't chuck it out because you only just bought it. Ugh. I also hate shopping for food. I resent the fact that someone has to do it. I don't mind someone else doing it. I don't resent my family,or my DH or anything, I resent our society in which the SAHP ends up doing all the menial crap as well as raising the children.

Ok, so the short explanation is: shopping makes me whiney.

To have less whiney days of me wandering around shopping markets making god-awful faces at things, I shop monthly, and for months when I really, really, can not stomach the idea of shopping, or else when everything has gone to pot and I can't devote a few hours to the basic necessities, I get someone else to do it. It costs - and often your product or brand isn't there, but sometimes I feel like I need it. Cost versus convenience. Cost versus sanity. Cost versus time likely to actually get to a shop... I am sure we all get the idea.

Today counted as the beginning of the new month because the credit card is now paid out. We have one credit card as part of the house loan, and a couple of accounts with nothing in them, and the mortgage. So, flush with money for a couple of days, I like to do my monthly shop.

Today went pretty well. I am loving the list on the front of the freezer, wrote up a few more meals that can be whipped up using the ingredients there, checked out the pantry and did the same, and then looked through the refrigerator. From this I crafted a rough list of meals, a rough list of missing things, and then checked the toiletries for refreshing as well. It didn't take me long, but I think I should do a Master List again.

I've been doing monthly shopping now for a few years, and the biggest problem we have is planning. Sometimes things happen you can't plan around, but often I just find I don't have the mental energy to think ahead. So, the inevitable trip down the supermarket comes up, and the inevitable $30 bunch of spaghetti issue arises, and we lose money hand over fist. I need to lock down on that, have a few things for instant meals. I've been really good with milk, but since DS1 is now onto milk, we're going through about 12 litres a week. That's a lot of milk! Especially when milk can be as expensive as $2 a litre! Or more! DS1 is probably teething too, so we're using more than we will later, but it does mean that we have to go to Woollies more often than I would prefer.

So, I am going to try a different method of tallying my supermarket expenses. We'll see if it makes any difference, but mostly I just have to work harder at being more organized. With DS3 cutting down to one day of daycare a week next year, I won't have his spare days to recoup any misses I make. I have to get it all right the first time. It's an awesome responsibility, sometimes, making sure that every one gets fed, and every one gets milk, and the bills get paid and everything words in a solid and reliable fashion. God it's exhausting!

So... Monthly Duties...
I like to prepay some bills.
- Electrickery
- Water
- Mobile Phone (this one is new. I figure if I just prepay, then I won't get behind, and I don't trust them to debit my CC in a timely and acceptable fashion)

Meal Plan for the Month
- Rough ideas mostly
- Monthly Shocking List
- Monthly Shocking (Meat and Groceries)
- Print Monthly Meal Plan and attach to Fridge

Transport Costs
- Fill vehicles
- Top up trains cards if possible.

Banking (Automatic)
- Rates Payment
- Mortgage Payment

I have started to use Google Calendars to keep track of when things come out of the credit card. The different colours lets me know instantly if there is a regular bill coming out of the card, and in theory I should be able to budget all the other expenses to fit within the monthly payment. Unfortunately, it never quite seems to work that way.

Anyway, I have a few monetary goals I want to attain over the next few years. The mortgage keeps getting pushed back further and further, but we're happy here with me being a SAHM, and don't feel the need for me to be working for reasons other than mental health. This means it's time for me to start watching even more closely, or rather to do so in a successful manner rather than a hopeful manner! Lots of food for thought coming this way!

Anyway, hugs and kisses for now,

Sarah P

5 comments:

SarahX said...

I am intrigued, what is a $30 spaghetti incident?

And omg, 12 litres of milk! We have been going through 2 to 3 (which probably works out the same as your 12 since we are using either expensive rice, soy or goat milks), but still 12 litres, wow!

I am definitely full of admiration for your ability to do a monthly shop though, I am still doing weekly or more (though rarely at the supermarket--I hate that place).

SarahP said...

$30 spaghetti - what happens when you go down for an unplanned shop... and see timtams on special... and eggs too, and while you're there you need butter, and ... um... you're almost out of tomato sauce and look! Tomato paste is 2 for $5, and you know you'll need it ... eventually... and by the time you get home you've spent $30 instead of $3, and it's all stuff that could have waited a day or two or a week.

The milk thing ... *sigh* I have to go down right now in fact.. DS1 is one, and drinking over a litre a day right now, DS3 has milk on breakfast cereal and has been asking to drink milk too, plus DH and I have milk in coffee and our own breakfast cereal... it all adds up.

SarahP said...

My milk ended up costing $40 - $16 for milk and $24 for pizza...

But we had a nice movie night with the kids, so I think it was worth it.
:-)

Transcendancing said...

I do all my shops as $30 small shops...

Sometimes I do a weekly $50, or a fortnightly $80-100.

Sometimes that varies if I'm cooking something a little out of the ordinary...

But because I don't drive, small carved chunks for shopping works best for me - aka, only as much as I can carry (or I have to count the taxi fare too).

I am also now getting much better at leaving unnecessary things behind - not perfect, but getting there, slowly.

I actually enjoy shopping, even at the supermarket but I like small market shops better :)

Fe said...

Have you investigated milk delivery? We use 8-10L a week, and our fridge is on the small side. I keep meaning to find out how much it is for delivery (I've driven behind a milk truck around this area a number of times, but only _before_ I decided it was woth investigating, so I didn't note the number:-( ). If I could get the milk delivered through the week, that would make our shops _much_ more workable—and I could think about fortnightly shops instead.