Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Clean Plate : The Second Obstacle to Sensible Eating: Money

Clean Plate : The Second Obstacle to Sensible Eating: Money

This is an interesting article looking at one of the other barriers to being able to eat nutritious, healthy food. It's not an in depth article, but the links it provides to various American sources of what Americans should be spending on food is interesting.

I have often read the American food plans provided for those of low income, and from my point of view they are fascinating for their cultural differences.

How much do we spend on food in a week is a crucial question these days as inflation, floods, fire, famine and world economies affect our loaves of bread. How much do you spend on food?

My aim this year is to spend $400 or less per month on food for the four of us. This does not apply to now, of course. With the operation last week, I have bought $400 worth of pre-prepared foods to make life as easy as possible during my convalescence. If we're super organized, we'll spend about $80 on fruit and veg until February.

However, we're only human, and to be honest we just had Dominoes Pizza for dinner, which if I included in the food budget was another $26. But my budgeting adventures can start properly in February, when I'm back onto my feet and with my gaze firmly on the future.

I have holidays to save for, dammit! Swancon ahoy!

No comments: