Pages

Sunday, February 05, 2012

Joining the Month of Food

I have decided to join Sarah P in her month of food posts. I find it really interesting that our diets follow very similar rules with the only really big difference being that they are completely opposite in terms of the main ingredients.

I am currently trialing careful food combining based mostly on Leslie Kenton's Biogenic Diet and Donna Gates' Body Ecology Diet. So, just like Sarah P, I don't eat processed foods and I don't combine protein with starches. In addition I only eat fruit on its own and I try and have as much 'living' food as possible i.e sprouts, just picked greens, and fermented or cultured foods--foods high in enzymes and gut friendly bacteria.

The theory behind food combining (or, to be more accurate, not combining) is that different levels of acidity are required to digest different types of food and by only eating foods that require the same environment at any one time we can make the digestion process easier and more efficient and thus help to eliminate a host of digestive problems, particularly those that are related to 'leaky gut syndrome'.

The big difference between mine and Sarah's diets is that I have been vegan for over 2 years now so while many of our diet 'rules' are the same my diet is entirely plant based and much lower in protein foods.

Today's meals:

As suggested by Kenton I am trialing eating only fruit until midday. I find that I need to eat quite a bit for this to work for me. This morning's fruit was 2 apples, a pear, a peach, a plum and a couple of lychees, yum! I eat most of it early on in the day and have a couple of pieces for a mid morning snack.



Lunch today was two slices of sprouted spelt bread (this is sprouted, mushed together and cooked at a very low temperature so it is still full of enzymee goodness, it makes for a very thick, moist and relatively sweet bread) topped with half an avocado, salt and cracked pepper, and baby spinach leaves. I finished it off with a coconut water drink.



Dinner was fettuccine with a rich tomato based veggie sauce. The main flavours were mushrooms, zucchini, and roasted capsicum. I took the picture above just before I added the passata so that you could see what was in it--talk about eating a rainbow!



I had guests over tonight so I was cooking for ten, a great chance to put my new stove to the test :)

3 comments:

SarahP said...

Woohoo! That looks awesome! I really liked the Essene bread you made me try once, but I have never seen it again.

Since I'm kind of avoiding grains it's a moot point anyway LOL.

I did the Fit For Life diet for a bit which was very much fruit all morning until midday and then vegetarian (I think) which I found interesting. The only fruit I could stomach all morning was strawberries, so it got a bit expensive... :)

SarahX said...

This is the same essene bread, I still love it :)

I wonder if you would be able to have sprouted grains in the longer term. I know the sprouting process greatly increases their protein content and lowers the car content, but I don't know if it is by enough to change it from a starch food to a protein.

I have had problems previously feeling sick when I have eaten nothing but fruit but seem to be okay with it atm. It might be that I eat it in a big enough quantity so that my body finds it substantial, or perhaps living in a tropical climate helps :) But wow, I can imagine eating only strawberries for half the day would get expensive! I get a weekly fruit and veg box and just eat whatever is in it, which makes it more cost effective for me.

SarahP said...

Yes, I can will be able to reintroduce grains and stuff later - if I want to.
:)